Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All/Episode 2: Reunion, and Turnabout/Part 1: Investigation
On a rainy day, you get a visit from Turner Grey, who claims to be a surgeon at the Grey Surgical Clinic. He says is visiting you because of two things. The first is about an incident just a year ago. The incident includes a mistake killing fourteen patients being cared for by a nurse, who was drunk with sleeping pills and died in a car crash the following night. Tabloids say rumors of Grey being the culprit and he wants you to prove otherwise, because the number of patients he has is dropping. He has heard of Maya and the special power she holds, and wants her to channel the said nurse so he could talk to her. To do that is the second reason. Maya would do so if Grey brought you along, so you decide to go with him.
 Kurain Village
The first thing you'll see here is a little girl, being chased by guess who? Maya! You start your first investigation mode gameplay. Here you are given four choices, one of which is Talk. Click on that and choose any of the topics you see.
- Today's channeling: Maya heard about the incident at the clinic. She read that Grey is responsible for the incident and the nurse's death, but Grey told her otherwise.
- Kurain Village: Here everyone in Maya's family are spirit mediums, but only the women.
- The girl earlier: Maya says the girl you saw earlier is her cousin, Pearl Fey. Despite her age, she is a "genius" when it comes to channeling spirits. The reason she didn't talk to you is because her mother told her not to talk to suspicious-looking strangers (you don't seem related).
After you are done talking, Maya decides to start her channeling. You are given the menu again. Choose Move and choose Meditation Room.
 Meditation Room
You see Grey, who is given a map to the Fey Manor. The Guidemap (Fey Manor) will be added to the Court Record. Talk to Grey:
- Today's channeling: The reason he wanted to see the nurse is that so he can have her write a confession about the incident, that she is responsible for what happened.
- Maya: Grey learned about Maya from an acquaintance of his, who happens to be a college student. He also learned that Maya is the daughter of the "Master".
After talking, Grey mentions that beyond the door is the summoning room, where Maya's aunt is in. Let's go meet her. Move to the Channeling Chamber.
 Channeling Chamber
There you'll meet a middle-aged woman, who calls herself Morgan Fey. "Mystic" Maya's aunt. Talk to Morgan:
- Maya: In this village, Maya is referred to "Mystic Maya". Maya is the daughter of the "Master" of the Kurain School of Channeling. Morgan is her sister, so she belongs to the branch family. Her power is quite weak compared to the Master.
- Today's channeling: Maya is doing the channeling, because those who died in a traffic accident are usually easy to contact.
- Channeling chamber: The channeling chamber is where the channeling takes place. People other than the medium and the client are not allowed to observe the process. In case anything goes wrong, a huge lock on the door will keep the ruckus from coming outside.
After talking, Morgan will reveal herself as Pearl's mother. Time to explore more of the house. Move to Winding Way. Available from the Meditation Room.
 Winding Way
You see a lovely garden here, and an incinerator (what's it doing here)? Move to the Side Room.
 Side Room
It looks like a resting room. There are two bed spreads and it looks like someone is sleeping in one of them. Better not disturb her. Move back to Winding Way.
 Winding Way (2)
There, you will meet a familiar face. It's "Lotta Hart", the person you meet a year back of one of your cases (if you recall the last game, unless you are a newcomer). She is here to get a "real scoop" (and boy does she look eager). The channeling is about to start, so Move to the Meditation Room.
 Meditation Room (2)
Here Maya and Grey now walk in the channeling chamber. You are not allowed in (much to Lotta's anger), so Morgan hands Maya the key to the door. They lock the door and go inside to start the channeling, and then...
You suddenly hear a loud noise, and then another. It sounds like they both came from the Channelling Chamber. Lotta recognizes them as gunshots. Gunshots?! You have a choice on what to do, choose "Break into the Chamber". Pray that Maya is safe.
 Channeling Chamber (2)
Lotta takes a few pictures as you enter. Inside, a horrific scene appears. You see Dr. Grey lying on a pool of blood. Maya is all right, and it looks like her channeling was a success and she now looks like a different woman (with the same hair and clothes), with blood on her. The woman says Grey murdered her, and she took her revenge. Morgan comes in and tells you to inform the police, and that she'll be in charge of what's happening. You move outside the house.
 Kurain Village (2)
You call the police outside. Lotta will follow. Talk to Lotta:
- What you witnessed: Lotta thinks Maya could have done it. (she probably doesn't know Maya's physique alters when she is channeling someone)
- Dr. Grey: She mentions that Grey is a great surgeon, but his personality "stinks like wet sheep".
Better check what is going on back at the scene, Move to the Meditation Room.
 Meditation Room (3)
Morgan tells you that Maya is unconscious, but will be fine. You then see Gumshoe, who promptly checks the crime scene with Morgan. Guess you have to wait outside. Move back to Kurain Village.
 Kurain Village (3)
Talk to Lotta:
- Any ideas: You will learn from Lotta that she took two pictures as you entered the crime scene.
Speaking of which, you should probably check it out. Move back to the Channeling Chamber.
 Channeling Chamber (3)
You see Gumshoe in here. Talk to him:
- Maya: Gumshoe says that since Maya and Grey were the only ones in the room, Maya could have been the killer.
- Cause of death: You learn that Grey was shot in the forehead. Not only that, but he was stabbed by a knife. Stabbed!? How did the knife get in the room?
Move to the Side Room.
 Side Room (2)
You then meet a young woman, who is wondering when the channeling will start. You tell her a murder has occurred. The woman introduces herself as Ini Miney, a college student who is studying "parapsychology". She is here to study psychic powers. Talk to Ini:
- Ini Miney: She is here because of Grey. He asked her if she knows a spirit medium. Ini says she took a nap here because she was ill. She is allergic to sesame seeds they serve here.
- What happened: Ini doesn't really know what happened.
- The victim: Ini claims she doesn't know Grey. All she knows is that she was one of his patients.
It sounded like she is hiding something there, but we'll just move on. Move to Winding Way.
 Winding Way (3)
You see the little girl you saw earlier. You see her holding a key in her hand. Talk to her if you want, but she won't speak. She runs away. Move to the Meditation Room.
 Meditation Room (4)
Gumshoe announces that an investigation will be held late, until then Morgan will let you sleep in for tonight.
This is bad. You have just met Maya, only to see her taken away by the cops. This has been a familiar yet traumatizing day.
 The Next Day...
You automatically start at the Detention Center
 Detention Center
Maya is in a panic now. She says she is too weak to stop the spirit's power. Talk to Maya:
- Channeling: Maya says she isn't really a Master of the technique. Her mother is. Maya will be the Master someday.
- What happened: All Maya remembers is that they got inside, they sat down, she began channeling, and that's all she remembers. When Maya channels someone, she loses herself and consciousness. Maya also remembers of having a dream.
- "Dream": Maya dreamed that she was dead and buried. She couldn't move and she smelt something familiar.
After you're done talking, you decide to help her, but she doesn't think so since she is admitting to the murder, but decides to have you help her anyways. Time to start investigating. Move to the Wright & Co. Law Offices.
Before you go, Maya gives you her Magatama, which will be added to the Court Record. She says it protected her and wants you to show it to Pearl. She guarantees that Pearl will help.
 Wright & Co. Law Offices (2)
You came here and remember the newspaper clipping Grey showed you yesterday. Newspaper Clipping #1 will be added to the Court Record. Move to the Channeling Chamber.
 Channeling Chamber (4)
You see Morgan here. Talk to Morgan:
- What happened: After the tragedy, Morgan went in and knocked the nurse unconscious and performed the "Spirit Severing Technique" to send the spirit away.
- Channeling Chamber: Morgan tells you that the Channeling Chamber is meant to prevent such tragedy as the one you saw yesterday. Since Maya is a novice so it's hard for her to control such a strong spirit as the nurse.
- Pearl: Morgan seems very proud of her daughter. Though a child, she has the powers that are required to be a Master. Pearl's power surpasses that of the main family.
After done talking, Examine the Folding screen on the very right of the room. You see a suspicious hole on the ground. What is it doing here? The Folding Screen will be added to the Court Record.
After completing everything, Morgan will leave the room. Move to the Side Room.
 Side Room (3)
You meet Ini again, who doesn't seem to remember telling you what she told yesterday, when asked what she is still doing here, she says something, but stops mid-sentence. Is she hiding something? You need to talk to her to be able to move on, but you won't get any new information out of her. Move to the Winding Way.
 Winding Way (4)
You will meet Pearl there. It looks like she is holding a key. You know what to do. Present Maya's Magatama to Pearl. She will then start talking. Pearl says Maya told her about you. Pearl is now willing to help you. Talk to Pearl:
- Pearl: Pearl doesn't like it when someone refers to Maya without her title name. But she is okay with you since you're Maya's "lover". Pearl then asks if you are a medium. Apparently, she doesn't know about lawyers.
- The item in your hand: Pearl is willing to give it to you. Choose "accept it". The Black Key will be added to the Court Record.
After talking, Pearl will charge the Magatama you have in your hand. Pearl says with this, you have the ability to see people's secrets in their hearts. Pearl decides to accompany you.
Move to the Meditation Room.
 Meditation Room (5)
You meet Gumshoe. Talk' to him:
- Maya's guilt: Gumshoe has doubts that you will win, they even have proof of Maya's guilt. Remember yesterday, Lotta took a few pictures as you enter the scene.
- The victim: Gumshoe says people knew Dr. Grey because of the tabloids a year ago. Gumshoe says he has one of these once, but now he doesn't know where it is.
You do remember Dr. Grey leaving a tabloid in your office. Present Gumshoe Newspaper Clipping 1. Gumshoe then remembers the story of a nurse committing suicide after the incident with fourteen patients. Gumshoe says he brought a clipping of his own. Newspaper Clipping 2 will be added to the Court Record. Talk to Gumshoe once more:
- Tomorrow's trial: Gumshoe has some bad news for you. Your opponent will be Prosecutor von Karma. Von Karma!? The man that never lost a case for 40 years, the man who tried to prosecute his student for murder, the man that had you stare death in the face a year ago!? But wait, wasn't he convicted for murder? That's when more bad news comes to ya. You will be facing his successor!
- Successor: Gumshoe tells you that Karma's successor is actually one of his children. The kid became a prosecutor at the age of 13! The kid never lost a case since! The kid is from Germany (which explains a lot).
Move to the Side Room.
 Side Room (4)
Talk to Ini:
- The victim: Ini says she doesn't know him.
Suddenly, the room darkens, and a few chains appear around Ini along with what looks like a lock. Pearl says you are now seeing a "Psyche-Lock". With Maya's Magatama, you can have the power to see people's secrets. If the person gives in, the Psyche-Lock will break. The more secrets the person is hiding, the more Psyche-Locks you'll see. You are now seeing one, so it should be easy for you.
Just Present Maya's Magatama, and you'll begin:
 Ini's Psyche-Lock: The Victim
- The victim: Ini says Dr. Grey was really hard on his employees. Such so that every night, Mimi comes home looking very tired. One time probably caused Mimi's accident.
Move to the Kurain Village.
 Kurain Village (4)
Pearl says she has never been outside the village before, and decides to stay. Move to the Detention Center.
 Detention Center (2)
You don't see your young friend here, but you see your late friend. It's Mia Fey! Maya's dead sister! Maya channels Mia weather you need aid.
You told Mia everything that came about the past two days. Mia tells you Maya could be innocent. Why does she think so? Talk to Mia.
- Not guilty: The reason Mia knows Maya is innocent is because it would be impossible for Maya to dream during channeling. Maya told you she had a dream while she was channeling. If what Mia says is true, Maya might not be channeling someone. Could this be a set-up?
- Evidence?: You tell Mia you don't have evidence for tomorrow, but Mia tells you otherwise. In fact, it's in your possession right now. She says it's the "key" for the entire case.
Present the Black Key. Mia tells you the key shouldn't be in your possession right now. You'll see why.
Mia says you know all you need to know for now. Phoenix asks Mia how he could do this if he doesn't know about the real murder. You suddenly see 3 Psyche-Locks! Does she know anything about the real murderer?
You can't focus on that right now. You decide to rest for tomorrow's trial.