Super Mario 64/Shifting Sand Land
- Location: Basement. Jump in to the wall at the dead end.
- Description A desert level with a big flying bird and a pyramid.
Shifting Sand Land is the eighth course in the game. In the maze-like room, the entrance is at a dead end corridor. (Not the one with Toad!)
 Star 1: In The Talons Of The Big Bird
Look for the giant bird flying around near the pyramid. Stand on one of the four pillars and wait for the bird. When it comes near, grab the star. You can fly over to where the star lands. Also you can shoot from the cannon to fly and catch the star. Or you can make your way to the other side of the pyramid; the quicksand pits near the pyramid will emit a tornado that can lift you up when you jump into it. Use it to get to the bird for the star.
No matter what star you're going after, always play on this star. As long as you play on this star, the Big Bird will hold onto the star, and therefore won't attack you to steal your cap.
 Star 2: Shining Atop The Pyramid
Fly or walk to the top of the pyramid. The star is inside a hole at the top. You can also use the shell at the beginning to get you there the fastest.
Super Mario 64 DS: Get Mario or a red cap, and go up to where the hole to enter the pyramid is. Break open the ? box, collect the feather inside, then go right in front of the pyramid hole and triple jump. You should fly right into the star.
 Star 3: Inside The Ancient Pyramid
Go inside the pyramid and make your way up to the top. Try and not to get hit too many times – there are many hidden blocks that will fall on you or roll over on you. Try and find the holes in the walls to get away from them.
 Star 4: Stand Tall On The Four Pillars
Stand on each of the four pillars outside the pyramid. But be careful not to fall down, for it is hard to do so. The top of the pyramid will blast away. Go to it and go in the hole. Ride the elevator down, and jump in to the hole in the big sandy/beige block checkered with red. Inside, you have to beat the pyramid boss, Eyerok, who is just two big stone hands with his eyes in the palms, by hitting the eyes on his hands three times each.
 Star 5: Free Flying for 8 Red Coins
Get all eight red coins:
- Coin One: When you start, turn around and walk straight to get the coin.
- Coin Two: Smash the block under the stone roof.
- Coin Three: In the pool of water.
- Coin Four: Near the cannon (the area with the rolling stone blocks)
- Coins 5-8: Each coin is near a corresponding pillar. You have to fly through the air to get the coins.
The star appears on top of the stone roof.
This Star was moved to Star 7 in Super Mario 64 DS.
 Star 5: Tox Box Switch Star (Nintendo DS)
As Wario, go to the Tox Box area. There is a Black Brick on a platform. Punch the brick and step on the Star Switch. Use the teleport or the cannon to get to the Star, located near the oasis.
 Star 6: Pyramid Puzzle
Enter the pyramid, and make your way to the top. Right before the star, there is a hole in the barrier around the platform. Look down. Jump to the platform below you and collect the coin there. There are two more platforms like this slightly below the first platform; jump onto them and collect their coins. Next jump in to the stream of sand and get the two coins going down there. If you collected all five of the coins in the path, the star will appear at the end.
 Star 7: Get 100 Coins
Kill all enemies and get all the red coins outside, then go into the pyramid and collect the rest.
The following is a list of all 136 coins that can be found in this level. There are 74 coins outside of the pyramid and 62 coins inside.
- Yellow Coins — 85 coins
- Two Bob-ombs (2 coins)
- Three Fly Guys (6 coins)
- One throwable box (3 coins)
- Two Crazed Crates (10 coins)
- On top of the four pillars (4 coins)
- Coins between the two pillars on the far side (5 coins)
- Coins on the path surrounding the pyramid (5 coins)
- Twelve Goombas - 3 outside the pyramid and 9 inside (12 coins)
- Coins in the path up the inside of the pyramid (20 coins)
- Coins hanging from the net with a mushroom on top (8 coins)
- Coins hanging from the net over the slope (5 coins)
- Coins from the pyramid puzzle (5 coins)
- Red Coins — 16 coins
- Eight red coins (16 coins)
- Blue Coins — 35 coins
- Four Pokeys (the cactus) (20 coins)
- Three blue coins from the Blue Coin Block (15 coins)