Super Mario 64
|Super Mario 64|
|Distributor(s)||Wii Virtual Console|
|System(s)||Nintendo 64, iQue Player, Wii|
|Neoseeker Related Pages|
Super Mario 64 is a video game for the Nintendo 64. Along with Pilotwings 64, it was one of the big launch titles for the new console. As the flagship killer game, it drove initial sales of the Nintendo 64, and has sold over 11 million copies in total.
Super Mario 64 was the first 3D game in the Mario series, and though it was not the first-ever 3D platformer, it helped to define the genre, much as Super Mario Bros. defined the 2D sidescrolling platformer. Super Mario 64 was considered so revolutionary that many consider it to have set the standard for all later 3D platformer games and 3D games in general.
In going from two to three dimensions, Super Mario 64 replaced the linear obstacle courses of traditional platform games with vast worlds in which the player must complete multiple and diverse missions, with an emphasis on exploration. While doing so, it managed to preserve the feel of earlier Mario games, including many of their gameplay elements and characters. It is acclaimed by critics as one of the greatest video games of all time.
Super Mario 64 is downloadable for the Wii's Virtual Console service. This release adds compatibility with the GameCube and Classic controllers, and enhances the display by rendering polygons at approximately 4x the Nintendo 64's native 320x240 resolution. This version is able to run in 480p on properly configured setups. It has been listed at 1000 Wii points.
Table of Contents
- Bob-omb Battlefield - 0 stars required
- Whomp's Fortress - 1 star required
- Jolly Roger Bay - 3 stars required
- Cool, Cool Mountain - 3 stars required
- Big Boo's Haunt - 12/15 stars required
- Hazy Maze Cave - 8/12 stars required
- Lethal Lava Land - 8/12 stars required
- Shifting Sand Land - 8/12 stars required
- Dire, Dire Docks - 30 stars required
- Snowman's Land - 31 stars required
- Wet-Dry World - 31 stars required
- Tall, Tall Mountain - 31 stars required
- Tiny-Huge Island - 31 stars required
- Tick Tock Clock - 50 stars required
- Rainbow Ride - 50 stars required
- Bowser in the Dark World - 8/12 stars required
- Bowser in the Fire Sea - 31 stars required
- Bowser in the Sky - 70/80 stars required
4th Generation (CD-i - GB - MS-DOS - SNES): Super Mario Land · Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins · Super Mario World · Mario Is Missing! · Yoshi's Island ·
Mario & Wario · Hotel Mario · Mario's Time Machine (NES)
5th Generation (GBC - N64): Super Mario 64