Super Smash Bros. Melee/Secrets
Easter eggs are hidden objects in video games that are only unlockable or visible if certain things are done. Super Smash Bros. Melee has some Easter eggs.
 In Game
- When playing as Samus jump then do an air dodge with L, then quickly rotate the D-pad once counter-clockwise very quickly and press A. If done correctly your grapple beam should be about 2/3 longer and it has a homing effect if you hold L and press A to grab. Note that the beam will not automatically grab the opponent when it crosses over them, you have to press A a second time.
Note: This was removed in the Player's Choice and PAL versions of Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- While playing as Fox or Falco on Corneria or Venom in VS or Training Mode, rapidly mash left and right on the D-pad. Fox or Falco will eventually spin around quickly and hunch over with a clenched fist. After holding this position for about ten seconds, a conversation among the other three Star Fox members will trigger. If Fox or Falco is hit during the hunch, it will be interrupted. This can be done only once per battle, whether it is fully executed or not.
 Master Hand Glitch
While selecting a character, if you go to the name entry area, and select the New Name Entry selection while holding the B Button, with perfect timing, the game will go to the Stage Selection Screen. After selecting the stage Player 3 will begin playing as Master Hand. This is called the Master Hand glitch.
You can do this glitch on any 1-P mode in the game, but several things will cause the game to freeze. Winning Stock, Coin, or Time Mode as Master Hand will freeze the game, because Master Hand doesn't have a winning animation. However, all other Melee Vs. Matches will not freeze the game, and the game will not freeze if Master Hand loses, or if a No Contest occurs. Using the glitch on Target Test will freeze the game, because a Target Test was not made for Master Hand. The glitch works fine on Home-Run Contest; although it would be hard to get any distance. The glitch is very helpful at completing 100 Man Melee, 3 and 15 Minute Melee, and Endless/Cruel Melee. But, because Master Hand can not be KOed, you will have to exit out of Endless and Cruel Melee on your own.
Using the glitch on Classic Mode will freeze the game, because Master Hand does not have a progress chart animation. Using the glitch on Adventure Mode will have Master Hand enter Mushroom Kingdom Adventure, but if you try to attack the game will freeze, because Master Hand's attacks mostly require a constant target. If you use the glitch in All-Star Mode the first match will be fine, but, after that, you won't be able to enter the portal. The glitch is very helpful in Event Matches; especially on Events 50 and 51.
For all of the above: if Zelda/Sheik is in the same match as Master Hand there is an increased likelihood of the game freezing.
If Master Hand has a Super Mushroom and, while using his laser attack, reverts back to normal size, one of two things will happen:
- The game will freeze.
- Master Hand's Lasers will stay on after the attack, and Master Hand can use any other attack in combination with it until the end of the match.
If the Master Hand glitch is used during a team battle where all 4 characters are the same character, and are all on the same team in Time or Coin Mode, Player 4 will be a darker version of the character.
If any character enters a Stock battle by him or herself, the Master Hand glitch will cause the match to end immediately, resulting in a 0-second Melee.
- If you view the trophy of Metal Mario in Trophy Mode and remove the menu screen on the right, there is an Easter Egg visible. If you zoom in on his back, then the shiny metal surface reflects an image of Yoshi's Stage. This can be seen on his cap, and his shoes too.
- NOTE: This is the Super Smash Bros. Melee version of the stage.
- If you view the trophy of Ganondorf (where he's holding his sword to the ground), and you press START for the dark color scheme background, his eyes will glow. This can, in a way, be done with the Master Sword trophy: select a certain color scheme and the triforce will glow.
- Zooming in on the back of Daisy's head reveals a third eye.
 Other unlockables
 All-Star Mode
All-Star is a special Single-Player mode which is automatically unlocked once all 11 unlockable characters have been unlocked.
 Sound Test
To unlock Sound Test mode, you must first unlock all 25 playable characters and all 29 stages.
 Score Display
The Score Display is an option for Time Battles in VS Mode. When the option is switched ON, each player's current score will be displayed at the bottom of the screen above their damage percentage. To unlock this option, you must accumulate a total of 5,000 KO's in VS Mode.