Before the start of each stage, Bonnie will present you with the opportunity to upgrade one of five components on KITT. Two of those three are his weapon caches, while the other three improve KITT's systems.
- At the start of the game, KITT's gas tank starts out a little over half full. Each Gas upgrade will improve KITT's initial fuel supply. It can be upgraded three times. When upgraded to the third level, KITT will begin with a full tank of gas when starting each stage.
- When you start out, KITT's shield will be set to 50% strength. Each Shield upgrade will increase KITT's initial shield strength. It can be upgraded three times. When upgraded to the third level, KITT will begin with 100% shield strength when starting each stage.
- In the beginning of the game, KITT's maximum speed is 190mph. Each Engine upgrade will increase KITT's top speed, allowing him to go 20mph faster each time. It can be upgraded three times. When upgraded to the third level, KITT can travel at a maximum of 250mph.
- Initially, KITT does not begin a stage with any missile supplies, although he can obtain them through power-up tiles. By upgrading the Missiles, KITT will start out with a supply of 20 missiles per upgrade, up to a maximum of 99. It can be upgraded five times.
- Likewise, KITT does not start out with any laser ammunition, although he can obtain some by collecting power-up tiles. By selecting the Laser upgrade, KITT will start out with a cache of 20 laser beams per upgrade, up to a maximum of 99. It can be upgraded five times.
When playing through a stage, there are two sources of power-up tiles which fly up into the air and must be caught by KITT before they land. Those two sources are yellow enemies, and the Knight Foundation semi-truck trailer. Most enemies that KITT and Michael encounter are red. But a small minority of them appear in yellow. If these enemies, whether ground based or airborne, are destroyed, they release a tile. In the case of the Knight Foundation truck, KITT must simply drive behind the truck until it releases a tile for KITT to catch. In order to catch the tiles, they must land approximately near the center of KITT's hood, or the power-up will not be applied.
- T: Time tiles provide 30 additional seconds to your timer.
- R: Recovery tiles increase KITT's shield levels.
- G: Gas tiles provide KITT with more fuel so he can travel farther or Turbo Boost more frequently.
- M: Missile tiles provide KITT with a supply of 20 missiles, up to a maximum of 99.
- L: Laser tiles provide KITT with a supply of 20 laser beams, up to a maximum of 99.
- 1: Catch the rare 1-Up tile to be granted an extra life.