- or : Press left or right on the direction pad to make the player move in either direction. Note that pressing these directions will not change the way that the player is facing unless the player faces up first. Also note that pressing backwards from the direction you are facing enables you to guard against physical attacks as long as there is nothing behind you.
- : Press up to face the background of the screen. It is only from this direction that you can change the direction that the player is facing. Also press up to rise from a crouching position, or to climb up a ladder once you have jumped up to it.
- : Press down while standing to crouch. While crouched, you can attack low or crawl along the ground. Also press down to climb down a ladder.
- : Press the A button to jump in the air. You are permitted to jump a second time after attacking once in mid-air.
- : Press the B button to perform an attack. You can only attack in the direction you are currently facing. You may only attack once after jumping.
- : Press the Start button to pause the action mid-game.
- : Not used.
Throughout the game, you will use your spirit's ability to inhabit other bodies to increase your power by transferring from one body type to another. You begin with the Blade Army soldier, and must locate and defeat other potential bodies. Throughout the game, you must progressively advance through different body types, each of which is most suited to fight a particular Idol guardian.
|This is the first body that you claim control over once you sneak into the dark fortress. It is a soldier of the Blade Army of Hell who was assigned to patrol the entrance. You can increase its attack power by collecting the sword items.
||Trained in the art of hand to hand combat, the Fighter has great stamina, and is a little quicker than the Blade Army soldier. However, it's only means of attack is its fist, so its attack range is not great. When you inhabit the Fighter, it will have 7 units of health, and it is capable of storing up to 12.
||Utilizing a gun, this member of the Hell army is trained to shoot at its enemies. Although it can fire an unlimited number of bullets, you can find reinforced bullet items which are limited in number, but provide the gunner with the ability to shoot blue blocks. Capable of only 7 units of health, it will have 3 when you possess it.
|Like the Gunner, the Sorcerer is capable of attacking enemies from afar, and its vertical attack range is even better. Also like the Gunner, the Sorcerer is considerably weak, possessing only 3 units of health when you inhabit it, but capable of going up to seven. Collect the magic book item to increase its attack power.
||By defeating and inhabiting the Armor, you will return to utilizing a member of the Blade Army. But this is no ordinary member; this was the captain. Once again, you will attack by sword, and you can increase the attack power by collecting sword items. Quite fast, it has 5 units of health after you possess it, and it can store up to 10.
||The Holy Soldier is the only body with the capacity to defeat the Prince of Darkness in order to save the Princess of Light. His body lies asleep somewhere in the fortress. The most powerful body of all, you will not find it until you are ready to conclude the game. It can store up to 12 units of health, and you are given the full amount when you take control over him.