Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire/Safari Zone
The idea behind the Safari Zone is to catch many Pokémon. You'll get 30 Safari Balls to play, but you have to use them all before you walk 500 steps.
The Safari Zone is unlike other Pokémon-catching situations: you don't actually battle any of the creatures that you meet. Instead of that, you have two options. Either you can creep closer and attempt to use the Poké Ball, or you can distract them with Pokéblocks.
- Getting closer to a Pokémon increases your shot. Don't move too close, or you could frighten it away.
- Use the Pokéblock Feeders. Pokémon around the feeders are more likely to be caught because they're distracted.
- Specific Pokéblocks attract Pokémon with natures similar to the Pokéblock's. A Pokémon attracted in this way is much easier to catch.
- One way to save steps is to stand on a square in the grass and flick the D-Pad in a different direction or use Sweet Scent. You won't take a step. Additionally, jumping in place with the Acro bike can accomplish the same.
- Use the Mach Bike to go up the cliff to the west, then to the northern pond. Cross it to find TM22 (Solarbeam).
- Use the Acro Bike to go across a bridge that needs to be jumped. Phanpy can be found in this region of the Safari Zone, and there is also a Calcium.
- Wild Pokémon