Basic Killing Floor Keys (Original Bindings / Alternates)
This page now contains the actual keys you need to press, rather than just tell you what you can do and not the key to press for it as it once did. There are also several proper "Quick Reference Tables" below, that give you the default bindings for all keys, along with recommended keys for easier playing, quicker communications and less hand stretching. Cos let's face it - you don't get much chance to breath in this game D:
In these Quick Reference Tables, the Killing Floor Strategy wiki give you our bindings for kicking ass as the "2nd/Alternate" key (they will change "1st/Default keys", so use what works best for you.
Game Control Keys
- Esc - back to game menu or Perk selection. Also the game to be paused in Solo missions.
- "E" - Opening / closing doors. Using certain things. Like the Trader.
- "F4" - For those of you who prefer to watch in OTS (Over the Shoulder) modes and views, rather than FPS splatterhouse your way through West London.
- "F9" - Take a screenshot or two, save yourself being pwnd by several Christmas Pounders for posterity!
- "`" or "~" (depending on keyboard) open the Developer's Console, from which you enter commands to alter the game, fix bugs and issue server commands.
The first thing you want to do it go to key-mapping from options and change "Quick Iron Sights" from "I" to Right Mouse Button (RMB), as this will make things a LOT easier - believe me - especially with scoped weapons like the crossbow.
All weapons and equipment are accessed via either the five number buttons, or the mouse wheel menu:
- "1": Melee weapons: cycles through the Knife Machete, Axe, Katana and the Chainsaw
- "2" Pistol key (Default "2"): cycles between handcannons and 9mm.
"F" for Flashlight (torch) on will usually go to this weapon tree, though others can use flashlights too like the Shotgun. You can also toggle the flashlight with by pressing the middle mouse button (for most its the depressed scroll button). This also works as the Alternate Fire Mode for weapons.
- "3"* Main weapon switching: cycles through (eg.) Lever Action, Bullpup, Ak47, and Shotgun
- "4"* Special weapons: cycles the (eg.) Medic Gun, Hunting Shotgun SCAR, Crossbow, M14, Flamethrower, Grenade-Launcher, and Pipebomb
- "5" Cycle Equipment: changes between syringe to use (ie, shoot, NOT "E") on Other Players and your handy welding torch.
* Pipebombs and Remote Charges aren't grenades, they are more like proximity or remote mines; So don't use them like grenades. Just place them (a good place is a short way in front of a welded-shut door and along corridors where you get surprised from behind by a Bloat. Sirens don't affect them as they do RPG's or grenades so you can shut her gob with 'em. Use them tactically, welding select doors, and you're bound to find it a lot easier to cope on Hell on Earth mode than without some tactics and co-operation.
The Alternate Fire mode may be used on these to remotely set them all off at once.
- Alternate Weapon Fire: (Default Middle Mouse Button - MMB) One barrel or two? Many weapons have alternate fire modes worth experimenting
- Reload: Default "R". You'll want to use that a lot and remember to press it as you leave the Traders.
- Throw Grenade: Default key "G"
- Flashlight key: Default "F": usually pulls out your 9mm with the light on, unless you have another weapon that has a torch, like the Shotgun
- Self-heal key (Default can be usefully changed to "Q"): pulls out and immediately uses the syringe on yourself, before it has to reload over a few moments. Afterwords it equips what you were last holding.
- Drop held Weapon: Default "\" (for speed via dead-weight loss of an ammoless gun or to make space or give to Other Players that died last round and definitely won't this one with £50 and pistol, or whatever.
Useful Multiplayer Keys
- Press "B" to Drop Money (wonga/dosh/squids - moolah) so that Other Players can Collect: lob a load of cash at someone if they're stuck with a pistol still and they might save your life. Share the wealth people! Yes, it's a co-op game!
- Press "\" to Drop your held Weapon for Other Players to Collect . If you haven't the cash but can spare a backup weapon or instead of selling it - ahh... the joy of giving. Especially point blank, both barrels.
These next lot deal with multiplayer communication skills
- Default V * Activate Quick Communication Menu: from the pop-up box navigate through short menus to say things by using number keys. ie. V, 5 then 1, insults the other players, where V, 1 and then 1 will remind your oblivious team-mates that you might need a little healing before you die - MEDIC!!! Default "T" will allow in game text chat. The text can vanish quite fast, so keep messages short when playing or use a mic. It's a good way to get killed, talking too much and not shooting :P Voice Chat: (Default "CAPSLOCK or C" in steam versions, depending on which method of chat you prefer). Lets you hear that that other guy sounds like a girl as well as plays like one (and vice versa). In fact, they are one.
It is easy to block all incoming voice traffic from the options screen, and also change text settings so you can ready more than 3 words before it vanishes as someone else "V" spams the communications boxes.
- Pressing "K" will initiate a "Kick Player" vote - just make your mind up and push the corresponding button.
- TAB will show you quick classes/Perks and some stats/info about your team.
- F1 will toggle display this information over the screen until you turn it off.
Quick Reference Tables for Game Controls
|Open Game Menu||Esc||Blank|
|Pause Game||Pause/Break||Empty / (ESC in singleplayer (solo) works, but do not bind this key!!!|
|Primary Fire||Left Mouse Button/Mouse 1||Joy 1|
|Alternative Fire/Flashlight||Middle Mouse/Mouse Wheel Button/F (but remember to set flashlight to something else, as it's useful :P)|
|Reload - do this after visiting the Trader and at every opportunity you get - grab ammo when you can!||R||Blank|
|Quick Iron Sights||I||RMB (Right Mouse Button)|
|Toggle Iron Sights||Right Mouse/Mouse 2||I|
|Next Weapon||Mouse Wheel Up||/|
|Previous Weapon||Mouse Wheel Down||Empty|
|Switch to Best Weapon||Empty||F2|
|Switch to Last Weapon||Empty||F3|
|Switch to Knife||Empty||Empty|
|Select Melee Weapons||1|
|Select Secondary Weapons||2|
|Select Primary Weapons||3|
|Select Specialty Weapons||4|
|Toggle Third Person Mode (offline only)||F4||Empty|
|Toggle Camera Mode (offline only)||F5||Empty|
|Toggle Voice Commands Menu||V||Blank|
|Activate Microphone||Capslock||C if using X to toggle crouch - or not using it at all. Or none when using Steam group-chat with friends; VIOP; Team-Speak, etc...|
|Switch to Public Voice Channel||Home||Empty|
|Switch to Local Voice Channel||Delete||Empty|
|Switch to Team Voice Channel - this should be your default Voice Chat option.||End||Empty|
|Toggle Screenboard Overlay and Info/Stats||F1||Empty|
|Open Vote Kick Menu||K||Empty|
|Toggle Console||` or ~ or ¬ depending on yr keyboard (key lives under ESC on most keyboards)||Empty|
|View Connection Status||F6||Empty|
|Cancel Pending Connection||F10||Empty / Alt + F4|
|If you game is running in windowed mode, or you want to switch to windowed mode for any reason, just press:||Alt+Enter|
|Start Demo Recording||Empty||Use another recording programme :P|
|Stop Demo Recording||Empty||See above|
I'm gonna put these in here, just in case - me and my buddies use the numpads for certain things, what are here are just suggestions - we prefer using a Mic as, by the time you've pressed enough buttons though the "V" menu to say "LOOK OUT!" no sooner are you, and them and the other guy who saw it too, toasted and being feasted upon...
Voice Command Controls
|Help||Empty||Numpad 1 / Z|
|I need some money||Empty||Numpad 9|
|Drop a weapon for me||Empty||Numpad 6|
|Look out||Blank||Numpad Enter|
|Wait for me||Empty||Numpad -|
|Weld the doors||Empty||Numpad /|
|Lets hole up here||Empty||Numpad 0|
|Follow me||Empty||Numpad *|
|Insult Other Players - Perhaps THE most important voice menu command you can give.||Empty||Backspace|
It's probably easier to get used to the 'V' menu if you don't have a Mic (even if you do, it can be funny listening to the different characters slagging each other off over nothing) if you're unused to or - like some keyboards and Macbooks n stuff - don't even have a Numpad (makes sure numlock is ON, please).
Everything here is sourced from upcoming contentent at PlayItHardCore.com [if you can get past the spambots] and Steam Group (Steam search us, or visit the site - I'll link it later when not in the Steam browser :P) and will be appearing there, as it was written for that site. This one just has top slot - doesn't mean it's the best strategy wiki, however...
Game on people! Viva la Revolucion! (a very lazy) Cap'n Saccade as 184.108.40.206 09:38, 26 December 2010 (CST)
- Primary fire
- Use iron-sights
- Alternate fire (either a significantly more powerful attack, a semi/auto mode selector, or a laser sight toggle)
FPS game standard WASD, jump, and crouch keys. Very useful but seldom seen in games out of the box is a toggle crouch key. Use it.
- Drop money
- Drop weapon
- Throw grenade
- Enable/disable flashlight
- VOIP (this is very well implemented in KF since it actually cuts out the background music when you talk)
- Canned speech menu