For the backstory of Mega Man, please see the Mega Man category page.
Japanese (original) story
Dr. Light created various robots to benefit mankind. He wanted to build robots that contained artificial intelligence within them. He set to work on building a pair of robots: it was thus that Rock and Roll were born. Rock became the lab's new assistant and Roll became a housekeeper. With the success of this project, the good doctor went on to create six more robots, each for industrial assistance purposes: Cut Man, Guts Man, Ice Man, Bomb Man, Fire Man, and the prized Elec Man.
Soon, Dr. Albert W. Wily finally had enough of living in the shadow of his colleague, Thomas Light. Light's reception of the Nobel Prize, as well as his winning the LIT Manual Design Contest drove him over the edge. Wily realized the potential of robots built with true artificial intelligence: they could be used for other means. Dr. Wily stole and reprogrammed all of Dr. Light's industrial robots. However, he missed Rock and Roll, as the helper robots did not suit his needs. With Wily on the loose with an army of intelligent and powerful robots, Dr. Light knew that the world's police forces and armies weren't ready to deal with this new challenge.
It was thus that Rock, the lab assistant, volunteered to be converted into a fighting robot. Rock had a strong sense of justice and couldn't sit by and watch his "father's" work be destroyed before his very eyes. As such, Light reluctantly converted the former lab assistant into a robot of unimaginable potential. Equipped with the Mega Buster, Rock became known as the super robot Rockman ("Mega Man" in North America and Europe) and set out for Wily's fortress to stop Wily from taking over the world.
- Note: This story is taken from the localized NES manual (copyright: 1987 Capcom) and it's significantly different from the original. Furthermore, this backstory isn't consistent with later installments of the series.
It's MEGA MAN versus the powerful leaders and fighting forces of Monsteropolis, that strange multi-faceted land of robot-like Humanoids. Brilliant scientist Dr. Light conceived the construction of fully-operational human-like experimental robots to perform specific everyday duties. Dr. Light and his assistant Dr. Wily, encouraged with their very first near human robot, MEGA MAN, proceeded to develop six additional Humanoids, all programmed to perform prescribed rituals.
But, with the exception of MEGA MAN, all of Dr. Light's near-human robot experimentation went awry. Assistant Dr. Wily turned disloyal, re-programming Dr. Light's Humanoids, now bent on destroying opposition so Dr. Wily could control the world and its resources.
Resisting re-programming, MEGA MAN is the chosen defender of the universe and its inhabitants. MEGA MAN dares to single-handedly penetrate seven separate empires of Monsteropolis, eliminating the leaders and followers of these sovereignties.
Get ready for some very exciting challenges!
Brilliant scientist Dr. Wright (Dr. Light) develops six human-like robots with unique abilities to perform specific everyday duties. Dr. Wright, along with his assistant Dr. Wily (who was not his assistant in the PSP version, and thus not involved in the creation of Dr. Light's robots), develop their very first near-human robot named Rock (Mega). The other six robots were programmed to perform prescribed rituals:
- Bombman: A real "blaster" as a heavy duty laborer who uses intensely powerful explosions to clear lands for Dr. Wright's construction projects.
- Cutman: Designed to function as a lumberjack. Powerful saw-toothed scissor-like instrument protrudes from head, capable of gnawing through giant forest timbers.
- Elecman: Dr. Wright's electrifying creation. Planned for conducting electrical operations, even supervising nuclear power plants.
- Fireman: Melts and molds metals with flame throwing torch from atop his head.
- Gutsman: A bulldozing character capable of lifting and transporting huge boulders.
- Iceman: Impervious to chilling sub-zero temperatures, capable of human-like performances under extreme climatic conditions.
Roll was also created, but the story in the instruction manual does not acknowledge her, and she only appears in the ending of the game.
But, with the exception of Rock, all of Dr. Wrights robots were re-programmed by Dr. Wright's assistant, Dr. Wily, who turned disloyal. Dr. Wily is now able to control the world and its resources completely unless something is done.
Rock volunteers to be converted into a fighting robot. He is now known as Mega Man, has a Mega Buster weapon, has the ability to take weapons from other robots and is ready to destroy six Robot Masters and Dr. Wily.