Doom/E4M8: Unto The Cruel
This is the final mission within Ultimate Doom, where you finally take revenge from the death of your pet rabbit. Unlike the other three boss maps in Doom, you still need to navigate the level and collect two keys before entering the boss room.
The first room contains two imps, which are easily taken care of.
The second room down the stairs has a large quantity of zombie soldiers that will react to your entrance; they are located on both sides of the door, and even on the central pillar.
You need to reach the far end of the room, but you need to collect two keys first. The first red key is on the door to the right, where you also get a rocket launcher. The other key is available via the door to the left, through a teleporter.
The teleporter has a few enemies around which are easily dealt with. However, the southern end of the area has plenty of items on platforms, including powerups and ammo - use an individual pillar to lower the item.
Continue to the north, and defeat the enemies there. Grab the yellow key. From here, you have two choices:
- Head down the rest of the corridor to get a supercharge.
- Or go through the hidden door behind the key for a partial invisibility.
When you have both keys, open the red and yellow doors in the middle. Defeat the Barons of Hell and press the switches to gain access to the lair.
The final room has a spider mastermind. If you are running low on ammo, you can get additional cells on the left, additional rockets on the right, and a BFG and cells in the middle.
Only one secret:
- In the start room, activate a twitching body found to your left - this opens up a room to a chaingun.
A few quasi-secrets are notable:
- If you really want to take revenge against your pet rabbit, you need to kill every monster. The central pillar in the nukage pit area has four doors, two of which are hidden (and also hide a Baron of Hell).
- A door behind the yellow key contains a teleporter, that leads to a partial invisibility.
- A small door behind the spider mastermind contains a BFG.
- A teleporter near the entrance to the Spider Mastermind's lair teleports you to the yellow key area, in front of a supercharge.
As with all final missions in Doom, you do not receive a visible kill count or statistics (unless you use a source port).