You arrive at the Fey & Co. Law Offices at the request of Mia, though he gets there late. Upon arriving, he suddenly senses something is wrong, and smells blood. Time to begin your first Investigation. "Move" into the office.
Here you will find the crime scene.
A girl is crying next to Mia’s lifeless body and soon passes out. A quick look reveals that the office appears to have been thoroughly searched. After you leave the girl in the reception area of the place, it's time to check the crime scene. Begin by examining Mia's corpse. It looks like she was killed by the same murder weapon as the previous case - the clock of " The Thinker" - and there are shards of broken glass beside her, possibly caused by a struggle. Both "The Thinker" and the Glass Shards will be added to the Court Record.
Something will fall out of Mia's hand at this moment, so examine it to find that it is a blood-stained receipt with the word "Maya" on it. It will be added to the Court Record. Note the arrows at the bottom of the screen - some locations will usually be much bigger, so switch to the other side of the office and examine the telephone. You will attempt to make a call but notice some screws missing from the receiver.
Suddenly you will hear a scream from outside the window in the office. A woman in the hotel across the street is staring right at you and is calling the police. You can explore the rest of the room, but there's little need to do so, as you examined the more important points in the office. For now, move back into the Fey & Co. Law Offices (the first room you were in).
Fey & Co. Law Offices
The girl you saw earlier will come to and introduce herself as Maya Fey, Mia's little sister. Time to question your first person. Talk to Maya:
- What happened: All Maya can say is that she arrived at the office, and Mia was already dead when she found her.
- You and the Chief: Maya is Mia's sister, and came to the office because her older sister wanted her to keep some evidence.
That seems to be all, yet there's one thing you got to do - find out more about the receipt you found. Time to show some evidence to your first person. Present Maya with the Receipt, and she'll be stunned to see that her sister wrote her name on it in her own blood.
At this moment the police arrive, and a detective named Dick Gumshoe promptly introduces himself before examining the murder scene. He soon notices the name on the receipt and promptly arrests Maya for the murder. You decide to visit her the next morning at the Detention Center.
You automatically move to the Detention Center.
It's been a little while, but it's time to chat with Maya again. She'll be a little down and will ask if you will be her lawyer. Choose any response (doesn't matter which one), then talk to Maya:
- Maya: You will learn that Maya is a spirit medium in training, which explains the clothes she is wearing - they're part of her profession. A new topic, Spirit mediums, will be available for discussing with her.
- The day of the crime: On the morning of the crime, Mia called Maya to have her protect the evidence that she mentioned last night. She has the call recorded on her phone. A new topic, Your cell phone, will be available for discussing with her.
- Your cell phone: Maya would let you hear the call now, but Gumshoe took it from her shortly after her arrest.
- Spirit mediums: The Fey family, especially the women, have spiritual powers and can contact the dead. Mia's powers were first-class. Phoenix has the idea of having Maya contact her sister, so she can tell him who killed her, but Maya says that her power is too weak; she is still in training.
Maya will give you a Memo to get her cell phone from the detective, because it has the recorded call between her and Mia on the day of the murder. Maya's Memo will be added to the Court Record. She will then ask you to visit a famous lawyer that Mia told her to go to for help. It doesn't matter what your response is to this. Talk to her again about the day of the crime.
- The day of the crime (cont.): Maya went to Mia's office just like she was told, whereupon she smelled blood, and the next thing she knew, she found her sister dead.
Maya will tell you by 4pm, the police department will choose a lawyer for her, if she can't find one.
There's not much else to do now, so move to the Fey & Co Law Offices.
Fey & Co. Law Offices (2)
Here you will meet Detective Gumshoe, who's busy overseeing the investigation into Mia's murder. Also, he mistakes your last name as "Butz"! When you have the choice, select "Detective Gumshoe" from the options. For a bit of fun, you can also choose "Detective Suedeshoes" and "Detective Gumtree". He just presumes that you are Maya's lawyer. Talk to Gumshoe:
- Mia: Phoenix asks for the autopsy report, which pretty much reveals what you know about Mia's death - that she was killed by blunt force trauma to her her head. Mia's Autopsy Report will be added to the Court Record.
- Maya: Gumshoe doesn't think you'll win, because a man named Miles Edgeworth is the prosecution of this case. A new topic, Edgeworth, will be available for discussing with him.
- Edgeworth: When he asks if you know Edgeworth, it doesn't matter which option you choose. Phoenix says he is a cold-hearted man, who hates crime and would do just about anything to get the Guilty verdict.
After chatting with the detective, present him with Maya's Memo for the cell phone; it doesn't matter what response you give to Gumshoe when he asks why you want her phone. On the strap, it reveals to be a "Steel Samurai" and worries it would get lost in the precinct. Maya's Cell Phone will be added to the Court Record. Gumshoe already got the contact numbers but doesn't know there's also a recording. At this point, Gumshoe will accidentally let slip about the witness to the crime, the very person you saw last night calling the police - April May. He'll let you know she's staying at the Gatewater Hotel and should still be there since last night. Time to meet her.
If you are playing the HD iOS release, be certain to examine the house plant to get the Cordyline Stricta achievement.
Move to the Gatewater Hotel.
Upon arriving, you'll encounter April May, who will talk to you for a bit then leave the room. Examine the screwdriver that is stuck in the drawer. You will attempt to look inside the drawer, but April will come back in and stop you from peeking in. You can talk to April if you want, but you won’t get much information from her which is typical and makes you suspicious of her character.
Time to get Maya her lawyer. Move to Grossberg Law Offices.
Grossberg Law Offices
Upon arriving, you will hear someone clear their throat, before meeting a rather large man. This is Marvin Grossberg, the lawyer you came to see; if you come here before visiting Fey & Co. Law Offices, then you won't meet with him until you do. Things look promising at first, but Grossberg will soon refuse to take on the case upon hearing Maya's name, which seems a bit strange. For now, talk to him:
- Your refusal: Grossberg won't explain his reasons for refusing, and states that no one will take up the case if Phoenix looks for another lawyer.
- Mia: Turns out that Grossberg knows Mia, as she once worked for him as an apprentice.
- That painting: Grossberg is proud of his painting and isn't keen on selling to anyone. But it will be important, why it's not there on "Day 2 - Investigation".
Well, not much to do now, so move back to the Detention Center.
Detention Center (2)
If Maya is here, then depending on whether you've met with Grossberg or not, Maya will either ask you what he said or allow you to choose an action. Whichever order you end up doing things, Maya doesn’t take the news of the refusal very well.
When you get the chance, present Maya with her Cell Phone. She tearfully listens to her call. Next, talk to Maya:
- Your family: Maya's father died when she was little, and she doesn't know where her mother is. A new topic, Your mother, will be available for discussing with her.
- Your mother: Her family was secretly involved in providing help to the police to solve a case, but things ended badly. A man soon found out about her mother's involvement and effectively ruined her life upon exposing the police's secret to the press. She then disappeared and hasn't been seen since. Several years later, her sister left, so Maya lives all by herself to train her ESP. A new topic, Your mother's enemy, will be available for discussing with her.
- Your mother's enemy: 15 years ago, Maya's mother was used to channel a victim for the police so they could ask them to identify their murderer. The man that was identified was later proven innocent. Although the matter was conducted in secrecy, someone found out and accused her of being a fraud before leaking the matter to the papers, causing the medium to be the laughing stock of the nation and thus go into hiding. When asked the name of this person, Maya says "White."
Choose "Defend Maya" and when she asks why, tell her, "I can’t abandon you." You can choose other responses as well. Not choosing to defend Maya can lead to her guilty conviction a few days later in which you shockingly turn your decision around. The second part can be whatever you choose since the story feels very linear.
Move to the Gatewater Hotel after chatting with Marvin Grossberg and Maya Fey to continue your progress.
Gatewater Hotel (2)
When you arrive at the hotel, you will meet a bellboy. He will ask you to tell April May that a man named "Mr. White" has left a message for her. That name surely can't be a coincidence, can it? For now, you got an opportunity to do something you couldn't before - look inside that drawer. Examine the drawer, and you'll find a Wiretap in there! This certainly looks suspicious and might explain why April was angry earlier. The Wiretap will be added to the Court Record.
This should be everything for now, so it's time to prepare for tomorrow's trial.