It turns out that Silph Co. is being forced to produce advanced technology for Team Rocket. You must reach the top floor and free the company president from Giovanni's clutches. If you roust Giovanni, you won't have to defeat the rest of Team Rocket's agents individually. When you need to heal your Pokémon, look for a woman at the bottom-left corner of the ninth floor.
This 11 level building, with 31 trainer battles, only seems difficult. If you know where to go, you can make it to the top and save the President quickly and easily. Then, after scaring Team Rocket away, you can get the items without opposition. You will need the card to open the door for a warping panel that leads to the Rocket boss. While the warping panels are annoying, the items are well worth it!
The first floor lobby is eerily empty, so just advance to the stairs in the back. Note that the guard blocking the entrance to the building won't stand aside to let you in until you've cleared Pokémon Tower.
Note that the red circles on this map indicate the warp points that connect two teleportation tiles with the same letter to one another. Also, Silph Co. is one of the very few buildings that you can use your running shoes in.
Finally, while it is not recommended, you can skip most fights by following the instructions detailed in the Fifth Floor section.
|Grunt||Golbat 25||Zubat 25||Zubat 25||Raticate 25||Zubat 25|
|Jerry||Magnemite 28||Voltorb 28||Magneton 28|
|Grunt||Cubone 29||Zubat 29|
|Connor||Grimer 26||Weezing 26||Koffing 26||Weezing 26|
A Move Tutor lady in the northwest office next to the boxes will teach Thunder Wave.
- Ultra Ball (Hidden in the bottom plant of the southwest office)
If you need combat experience, don't hesitate to seek out every Team Rocket agent and challenge him or her to duel.
However, if you want a quick end to this situation, follow the instructions from Fifth Floor so you can grab the Card Key, which will open every electronic door in the building. Then come to the Third Floor, and use warp tile O to reach the 7th floor, then step on warp tile P to reach the hallway outside of the president's office.
Read the info in Seventh Floor for information on the the challenges and rewards that await you on that Floor and beyond!
|Grunt||Raticate 28||Hypno 28||Raticate 28|
|Jose||Electrode 29||Weezing 29|
- Hyper Potion (Found near the scientist)
- Protein (Hidden in the middle plant, among the plants in the southeast corner)
|Grunt||Ekans 28||Zubat 28||Cubone 28|
|Grunt||Machop 29||Drowzee 29|
- TM41 Torment (On a table in the southeast room)
- Iron (Hidden in the bottom right plant of the southeast room)
- Full Heal (In the left room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- Max Revive (In the left room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- Escape Rope (In the left room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
Don't be confused by all the teleporters: The elevator will take you to any floor you want, and you only need to use one series of teleporters to get to the right part of Floor 11.
First take warp tile G, then come back though the same warp tile, and follow the path to the right and you'll find the Card Key. With that you can open any of the locked doors! Check the info in Floor 3 to make your way up to the top!
Be wary of the bald guy on this floor, for he's the one of the only ones to use Psychic-types Kadabra and Mr. Mime. If there's a Pokémon on your front line with low HP, it'll be quickly knocked out, so be sure to put a strong Pokémon on top before entering battle.
|Dalton||Kadabra 29||Mr. Mime 29|
|Beau||Magneton 26||Magnemite 26||Koffing 26||Weezing 26|
- Protein (In the northwest room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- TM01 Focus Punch (In the southwest room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- PP Up (Hidden in the central right room, in the top right plant)
- Elixir (Hidden in the central left room in the bottom plant)
- Card Key (Around the southern area)
|Grunt||Machop 29||Machoke 29|
|Grunt||Zubat 28||Zubat 28||Golbat 28|
|Taylor||Voltorb 25||Koffing 25||Magneton 25||Magnemite 25||Koffing 25|
- HP Up (In the southwest room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- X Special (In the southwest room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- Carbos (Hidden in the northwest room, in the plant on the left)
Even if you can best the Rocket members and Scientists here, you'll still be in for a tough fight with Blue. Before stepping out of pad O, make sure to bring a wide variety of Pokémon types to exploit his party's weaknesses and ensure that your Pokémon are at least level 35 or above.
After defeating your rival, go back and heal at either the Pokémon Center, or on the beds located in the Ninth Floor. You only have tougher fights ahead.
Also, this is where you can receive a level 25 Lapras from the person standing at the other side of the room. Lapras can be an excellent addition to your team, especially if you did not choose Squirtle as your starter, as it is a very powerful Water/Ice Pokémon. Step on pad P and head to the Eleventh Floor and your next challenge!
|Gary||Pidgeot 37||Alakazam 35||Exeggcute 38||Gyarados 35||Charizard 40|
|Gary||Pidgeot 37||Alakazam 35||Growlithe 38||Exeggcute 35||Blastoise 40|
|Gary||Pidgeot 37||Venusaur 40||Gyarados 38||Growlithe 35||Alakazam 35|
|Grunt||Cubone 29||Cubone 29|
|Grunt||Raticate 26||Zubat 26||Golbat 26||Rattata 26|
|Joshua||Electrode 29||Muk 29|
|Grunt||Sandshrew 29||Sandslash 29|
- TM08 Bulk Up (In the top room on the east side, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- Calcium (Around the southwest, near the scientist)
- Zinc (Hidden in the top room on the east side, hidden in the bottom plant, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
|Grunt||Raticate 26||Golbat 26||Arbok 26||Koffing 26|
|Grunt||Weezing 28||Koffing 28||Golbat 28|
|Parker||Grimer 29||Electrode 29|
- Iron (In the east room)
- Nugget (Hidden in the east room, in the top plant)
By the time you reach the Ninth Floor, your team is bound to be a bit worse for the wear. Visit the woman between the beds in the lower-left corner of the floor to fully recover your Pokémon's HP and PP.
|Grunt||Golbat 28||Drowzee 28||Hypno 28|
|Grunt||Drowzee 28||Grimer 28||Machop 28|
|Ed||Voltorb 28||Magneton 28||Koffing 28|
- Max Potion (Hidden in the room to the right of the beds, in a space beside the boxes)
- Calcium (Hidden in a room on top of the one containing the boxes, in the plant on the right)
|Travis||Magnemite 29||Koffing 29|
- Carbos (In the southwestern room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- Rare Candy (In the southwestern room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- Ultra Ball (In the southwestern room, unlocked after obtaining the Card Key)
- HP Up (Hidden in the northeast room's plant)
The teleporter right past Gary (P) takes you directly to the Eleventh floor, where players will have to deal with two more Rockets before approaching their boss.
|Grunt||Cubone 32||Drowzee 32||Marowak 32|
|Grunt||Rattata 25||Zubat 25||Ekans 25||Rattata 25||Rattata 25|
Then there's Giovanni, the leader of Rocket. After you busted up his racket in Celadon City, Giovanni moved his base to Saffron City. It's too bad for him you arrived in time to short-circuit his new scheme. Defeat Giovanni's Nidorino, Rhyhorn, Nidoqueen, and Kangaskhan to rescue the Silph Co. president.
He's not any tougher than Gary, but you'll definitely need to be in peak condition to stand a chance. Before engaging Giovanni, use Dig to warp back to the Pokémon Center, or retrace your steps and take the elevator up to the Ninth Floor, where the girl by the beds will heal you.
Giovanni is tough, but easily beatable if you make use of type advantages. Nidorino is weak to ground, so Dig will make quick work of him here. Rhyhorn is a ground/rock type, so Metal Claw or Water moves work well here. Use a high power attack on Kangaskhan that KOs it in one or two hits. Nidoqueen is a Poison/Ground Pokémon that is weak against Water, Ground, Psychic, and Ice.
|Boss Giovanni||Nidorino 37||Rhyhorn 37||Kangaskhan 35||Nidoqueen 41||4100|
When you've sent Giovanni running, the president of Silph Co. will be ecstatic that you interrupted his "meeting" with Giovanni. To reward you for breaking Team Rocket's hold on his company, he'll hook you up with the incredible Master Ball. This technological wonder will catch any Pokémon without fail, but this is the only one you'll get in the entire game, so be sure to save it for a special occasion (such as the Legendary beasts). When you're finished, you can collect the items in the now Rocket-free lower floors.
- Zinc (On the east side of the floor, reached by taking the elevator up)
- Revive (Hidden outside of the President's office in the middle plant)
- Master Ball (Given to you by Silph Co.'s President after defeating Giovanni)
Late to Fuchsia City
|Lapras. Apart from Icefall Cave, this is the only place you can get one in the game.
It comes at level 25 without Water Gun but with a bunch of HP. To get anything else good, you'll need to level it up significantly. Level 31's Ice Beam and level 49's Hydro Pump are fairly strong and you can teach it Surf once you get HM03 from Fuchsia, which is decently powerful, so it should fill in some holes in your offensive line-up.
The next destination on this guide is Fuchsia City, since we jumped ahead to Saffron, as following the game's order Fuchsia City should have been taken on before Saffron City. For example, you can check the order of your Trainer Card badges. Your Pokémon are going to be overleveled, making things even easier. There, you'll get the HM's Surf and Strength.
There are two major routes that you can take: You can head south of Lavender Town, or you can head west from Celadon City. The latter path is quicker (and you can pick up HM 02 Fly, on the way), so it is covered first. But eventually you'll also need to take the other route to get the Super Rod.