Nero has three main weapons, the sword Red Queen that can be revved up like a engine, the gun Blue Rose that fires two bullets at once and his demonic Devil Bringer arm.
The Red Queen is Neros only melee weapon, and can be used to defeat pretty much any enemy. Its combos are:
- Combo A: × 4 This combo is given at the start of the game and is a simple way of starting bigger combos.
- Combo B: × 3, then, (hold). This is a slightly more powerful variant of the basic combo, also received from the start.
- Combo C: × 2, then × 3. This combo is 300 proud souls to start with at the shop. It is great for escaping tight situations due to its spinning nature.
- Combo D: × 1, then × infinite. A combo designed to quickly dispatch single foes, but not much good against multiple or quick enemies.
- High roller: , pull back and . This move is taught in the opening level. It sweeps enemies into the sky allowing for aerial combos. Hold down the last button the ensure you follow them otherwise you are left standing on the floor.
- Exceed (2/3): . Revs up the Red Queen, filling up the gauge at the top of the screen. This grants more powerful versions of many of Neros combos, and adds additional damage to all of them. Exceed 2 and 3 allow and extra slot on the gauge so more power can be stored.
- Shuffle: , push forward, pull back then . This makes you dodge an incoming attack and then strike back with a powerful blow, but is a very tricky combo to master and there are better options available. Its starting price is 300 proud souls.
Neros firearm fires two rounds slightly delayed, so if one hits a breakable object the other continues. The Blue Rose is best for taking out Mephistos and Fausts, whilst its charge shots are effective against Blitzs and bosses.
- Charge Shot 3: Hold down . The greatest charge shot, this hits the foe with the original shot, then a few seconds later and explosive charge detonates. This can kill scarecrows in one shot on lower difficulties.
If you fire the Blue Rose with the Devil Trigger active, it fires phantom swords. A charge shot unleashes more. The beauty of this is that the gun can be fire during the Buster combo, allowing more damage. This makes it priceless against bosses and enemies that have long animations, such as blitzs, frosts and assaults.
Nero's trade mark and source of his natural magical power, a versatile tool that makes combo stringing easy when mastered.
- Hold: press and hold after a grab, allows one to use and enemy as a shield, difficult to find appropriate areas of use, but good for immobilizing some enemies. Gained after obtaining the item Aegis Shield on mission 8.
- Throw: press after a grab, allows one to deliver a powerful finish to an enemy, throws are different for enemies great combo finisher.
- Snatch(2/3): and , a versatile trick, launch a ghost arm at an targeted enemy and yank them towards you, can be performed in air, good for starting combos. Higher levels give more distance and are 400 and 1100 proud souls the begin with.
- Maximum Bet: , pull back, and simultaneously. An attack that surrounds you and attacks enemies, good for extending your combos into SS ranks after a good combo.
- Ultimate Showdown: , push forward, and simultaneously, a attack that performs a set combo of extreme lethality, great for catapulting a combo even further on medium sized enemies or ground based bosses.
- Block: Press while on the ground. This reduces damage from enemy attacks, and uses the energy from the blocked attack to charge the Royal Gauge.
- Royal Block: Press just as an enemy attacks. This acts like a regular Block, but it grants more energy for the Royal Gauge.
- Release: Press , forward, and . Releases the energy stored in the Royal Gauge for an explosive attack.
- Royal Release: Press , forward, and just as an enemy attacks. Releases the energy stored in the Royal Gauge for a more powerful explosive attack.
Enabled when Dante obtains Yamato. Equip by pressing the directional button for whichever Style is currently equipped. This simply enables use of Yamato.
Dante's default sword.
- Rebellion Combo A: × 3.
- Rebellion Combo B: , then × 2.
- Helm Breaker: in midair. This is similar to Nero's Split.
- High Time: , pull back and . This is similar to Nero's High Roller.
- Stinger: , forward and . This is similar to Nero's Streak.
- Million Stab: Hold after performing Stinger.
- Round Trip: Hold , then release it while on the ground. Dante throws Rebellion and sends it spinning around the area. Press again to summon it back.
These next moves are available when the Sword Master Style equipped.
- Prop: Press when on the ground.
- Shredder: Press and hold after performing Prop.
- Aerial Rave: Press × 4 when in the air. A midair combo similar to Nero's.
- Drive: Press , back, and when on the ground.
- Quick Drive: Press + when on the ground.
- Over Drive: Press after performing Drive.
- Dance Macabre: Press , forward, and when on the ground.
Yamato isn't equipped like Dante's other melee weapons, but is instead used through the special Dark Slayer Style.
- Slash Dimension F: Press , forward, and when on the ground.
- Slash Dimension C: Press , back, and when on the ground.
- Yamato Combo S: Press × 3 when on the ground. A quick three-slash combo.
- Arial Rave V: Press × 2 when in the air. A quick two-slash combo.