The Happy Mask Shop is located in Hyrule Castle Town Market, to the right of the path to the castle. The shop itself does not sell masks; rather, it lends them to aspiring individuals for sale. If a mask is sold, you pay back the price of the mask but get to keep any extra rupees, and are granted access to a newer mask model to sell. You can borrow masks you have already sold again; however, you can sell each model of mask only once. Masks are event items, and you can carry only one mask at a time. To see if someone is interested in purchasing a mask, talk to them while wearing it.
Wearing masks while speaking to people can elicit different responses.
Keaton Mask - This popular mask is modelled after the wily keaton fox. Sell it to the Hylian guard by the Death Mountain gate in Kakariko Village. Talking to Gorons and Zoras will result in a simple awnser but talking to King Zora, Princess Ruto or Darunia will result in some slightly funny text. Children like it and will talk about how much they like it. Adults might remember their childhood by seeing it, they might be confused or they might admire the mask.
Skull Mask - This monstrous mask will make you look like a Skull Kid. Sell it the lost kid in the lost woods that is on the tree-trunk (not the trunk where there are two kids). The mask also prevents Keese from attacking Link.
Spooky Mask - This scary mask is similar to a ReDead's face. Sell it to the kid in the graveyard. If you talk to people while wearing this nask they will get scared. The mask will actually glow in the dark. The scientist at the Lakeside Laboratory will say that it was carved from wood taken from a coffin and Dampé will ask what kind of mask it is and if he knows why is he wearing it then. ReDeads have a mask similar to the spooky mask.
Gerudo Mask - A mask that looks like a Gerudo. It makes people think that Link is a woman and Gerudo thieves get a bit annoyed. Darunia will say he hates Gerudos because Ganondorf sealed Dongodos Cavern. Nabooru says it looks a bit like her. King Zora says it gives him the chills because Morpha froze Zoras Domain. Ruto will say Link is a funny guy. Talon will say it reminds him of his wife. If Honey and Darling is spoken to, Darling will apologise and say he does not want to look at any woman except Honey. Saria will say it looks cool but frightening.
Mask of Truth - A mask that can obtain hints from Gossip Stones. It was passed on by the Sheikah. One theory hold that it is one of 3 items (Lens of Truth, Mask of Truth and Stone of Agony) made by the Sheikah to give the holder untold power.
The Trading Sequence
Spoiler warning! This section of the article contains spoilers, or hints about the game's storyline or progression.
You might want to skip down to the next heading if you do not want facts about the game's storyline or plot revealed to you.
- Keaton Mask: This is the first mask you can borrow from the Happy Mask Shop. Take it to Kakariko Village and wear it while talking to the guard protecting the gate to Death Mountain. He will buy the ten rupee mask for fifteen rupees, and you will be able to borrow the Skull Mask.
- Skull Mask: After obtaining this mask, enter the Lost Woods from Kokiri Forest and go left. Put on the mask, stand on the stump, and talk to the Skull Kid. He will only give you 10 rupees for the 20 rupee mask, but you will now be able to borrow the Spooky Mask. Also, if you play Saria's Song , he will give you a piece of heart. Note: This is also a good time to head to the Forest Stage detailed below.
- Spooky Mask: During the day, go to the Kakariko Graveyard and show the kid there the Spooky Mask. He will buy it at full price for thirty rupees.
- Bunny Hood: After borrowing the Bunny Hood and beating the Jabu Jabu dungeon, there will be a man running laps around the outside of Lon Lon Ranch during the day, so follow him until he stops, then talk to him while wearing the Bunny Hood. He will give you all his money for the mask, granting you access to the Mask of Truth, Gerudo Mask, Goron Mask, and Zora Mask.
The Forest Stage
Any time you have a new mask, drop by the Forest Stage. From the Kokiri Forest entrance, take a left (right if you're facing the entrance). You'll see a pool of water ahead. Take a left. Take another left. Here you find a meadow with a couple of Business Scrubs. There's a tree at the back. There to the left of the tree is a group of butterflies hovering around the same general area. Walk around this area (to the right of the butterflies when facing towards the meadow from the entrance) until you fall through a hole. You've arrived at the Forest Stage. Note: you can acquire these at any time, and in any order.
Put on a mask and approach the front of the stage (the raised portion with the sign on it). Many scrubs will pop up and dance around you joyfully. Walk over to the larger, older Scrub on the right. He will reward you with something, depending on the mask that you are wearing.
Forest Stage Rewards
- Keaton Mask: Win Rupees. Occasionally they do not like the mask.
- Skull Mask: They increase your Deku Stick capacity. They are attracted to this mask.
- Spooky Mask: Win Rupees.
- Bunny Hood: They don't like it. Occasionally they will give you rupees.
- Goron Mask: They don't like it.
- Zora Mask: Win Rupees. Occasionally they do not like the mask.
- Mask of Truth: They increase your Deku Nut capacity. The older Deku scrub says that you have a "horrible face" and the younger scrubs duck into their holes if you walk near them.
- Gerudo Mask: Win Rupees. Occasionally they do not like the mask.
Before you collect the Poacher's Saw in Gerudo Valley, use the Mask of Truth at the Forest Stage. There is a glitch in earlier versions of the game that stops the Deku upgrade after getting the Poacher's Saw.