Battles are turn-based and randomly encountered. The encounter rate can be adjusted in the Config menu. At the start of battle, there is a chance the party or enemies are in a First Strike or Brave Attack state. During First strike, only the party or enemies act in the first turn. During Brave Attack, the party or enemies start with BP +1.
You can activate auto-battle by pressing . Your previous commands for each character will automatically be used every turn. If you do not have enough MP or items, you will attack instead. Auto-battle persists after battle and is indicated by the AUTO text in the top right corner of the bottom screen. You can turn off auto-battle by pressing again.
Brave & Default
- Take more damage than usual.
- Take less damage than usual.
- HP recovers by the amount of damage taken.
- No damage is taken.
- Greatly reduces physical attack accuracy. Cannot evade physical attacks.
- Acts as if allied with the enemy.
- Perform random actions against a random target.
- Knocked out regardless of HP remaining.
- Unable to use Brave or Default, and BP of 1 or more is reduced to 0.
- Unable to act or evade physical attacks.
- Deals minor damage each combat turn, or after traveling a certain distance.
- Unable to use abilities such as magic that require you to speak.
- Unable to act or evade physical attacks. Removed when hit by a physical attack.
Abilinks are abilities your friends have learned that you can use in battle. In the Tactics menu, you can assign each character one friend.
Each weapon type has three different special moves. They become available when certain conditions are met. You can customize them in the main menu.
At any time during battle, you can press to stop time and immediately perform additional actions. Actions cost Sleep Points (SP) instead of BP. Just like BP, you can go negative SP by selecting brave. SP is earned by leaving the Nintendo 3DS in sleep mode. For every eight hours, you earn one SP. You can store up to a maximum of 3 SP. You can also purchase SP drinks with real world money. One SP drink restores 3 SP. Press the S icon in the menu to bring up the option to purchase and use SP drinks.
If you meet certain conditions at the end of battle, you will earn extra experience, job points, and money.
|1-turn Victor||Defeat all enemies on the first turn.||Earn a little experience.|
|1-turn Ace||Satisfy the condition fro 1-turn Victor in at least five battles in a row.||Earn more experience.|
|1-turn Hero||Satisfy the condition fro 1-turn Victor in at least ten battles in a row.||Earn a lot more experience.|
|Unscathed||Win a battle without taking any damage.||Earn a few more job points.|
|Unscathed Ace||Satisfy the condition for Unscathed at least five battles in a row.||Earn more job points.|
|Unscathed Hero||Satisfy the condition for Unscathed at least ten battles in a row.||Earn many more job points.|
|Sweeper||Defeat an enemy party of two or more with one attack.||Earn a little more money.|
|Sweeper Ace||Satisfy the condition for Sweeper in at least five battles in a row.||Earn more money.|
|Sweeper Hero||Satisfy the condition for Sweeper in at least ten battles in a row.||Earn a lot more money.|