Here is a list of companions you can choose from.
Default sorting is according to the sum of Dexterity, Combat, and Strength.
Tr. stands for "trainability". In fact, Dexterity and Combat are connected: whenever a character trains the higher of these two attributes (usually dexterity), he or she automatically gets a bonus in the lower one (usually combat). Said bonus is bigger if the difference between the two attributes is larger.
|Companion||Location||DEX||COM||STR||sum||tr.||INT & skills|
|Dupre||Jhelom||20||18||21||59||2||18 (no special skills)|
|Iolo||Yew, Trinsic||19||19||18||56||0||20 (no special skills)|
|Sentri||Britain||20||16||18||54||4||18 - Trainer|
|the Avatar||-||18||14||18||50||4||18 - Magic user|
|Spark||Trinsic||22||10||14||46||12||18 (no special skills)|
|Shamino||Britain||21||16||18||55||5||19 (no special skills)|
|Jaana||Cove||16||8||13||37||8||18 - Healer|
|Tseramed||Yew||17||12||16||45||5||18 (no special skills)|
|Katrina||New Magincia||15||8||11||34||7||18 (no special skills)|
|Julia||Minoc||14||8||12||34||6||18 (no special skills)|
Party members with special skills:
- The Avatar of Virtues: This is you. Since you are the only spell-casting character in the game, you should focus your training on intelligence and mana.
- Sentri: Another character from your past, Sentri is now a trainer in Britain who will join your party when asked. He is equipped with some nice stuff and has a store room with even more. If in your party, he will train Dexterity for free.
- Jaana: Can be found in Cove. She has healing powers that can resurrect allies, but will need to recharge her power after each attempt.
- Iolo: This is the first party member you will see in the game. He will join you automatically when you first arrive in Trinsic. Old time Ultima players will remember him as the bard and one of the Avatar's faithful friends. He comes equipped with a crossbow and some bolts.
- Spark: During your travels in Trinsic, you will meet a young boy named Spark . He is the son of the man whose murder you are investigating. He is VERY trainable and will quickly become a powerful fighter.
- Shamino: You will find Shamino in the Blue Boar in Britain. He also has your pocketwatch from your last adventure (Ultima 6) and will give it back to you when asked. He will gladly join your party.
- Dupre: You'll find your old companion in the tavern in Jhelom.
- Julia: A former companion of the Avatar, she can be found in Minoc working as a Tinker. She will not join if the Avatar has too many companions. However, the Avatar can drop one or two companions temporarily, have Julia join, then rejoin the remaining characters. She does not come with a proper backpack or bag to hold items.
- Tseramed: A skilled archer and woodsman located in the outskirts of Yew, he will not join the party if the Avatar says he is part of the Fellowship.
- Katrina: Living as a shepherd in northern New Magencia, she does not own a backpack or sack, so the Avatar needs to provide one.
Only 7 of the possible 9 companions can be chosen.
- It is highly recommended to include Sentri and Jaana because of their useful special skills.
- As for the remaining five, you could choose those who have extra dialogue during specific events: Iolo, Spark, Shamino, and Dupre (discard Tseramed, Julia, and Katrina).