Spoiler warning! This section of the article contains spoilers, or hints about the game's storyline or progression.
You might want to skip down to the next heading if you do not want facts about the game's storyline or plot revealed to you.
- Normally, you can only start the first playing as Alucard. However, you will first play the prologue "Final Stage" as Richter, and then enter the actual play as Alucard.
- After beating the game once in good ending, you can enter one of the following strings as the name of save file, in order to activate one of the special game modes:
- X-X!V''Q: Enables "Luck mode" where you start with 99 LCK and extremely low in other stats, and a Lapis Lazuli equipped.
- AXEARMOR: Start the game with an Axe Lord Armor in your inventory.
- RICHTER (PSX and Dracula X Chronicles only): Start the game in Richter mode.(Note: in the Saturn port, Maria and Richter are playable from the start. However, Maria is different in the Dracula X Chronicles port compared to the Saturn version. In the Dracula X Chronicles Port, she plays very much like she did in Rondo of Blood, while in the Saturn version, she is a lot stronger.)
- MARIA (Dracula X Chronicles only): Start the game in Maria mode. While she is playable in the Saturn version, that version makes her a lot tougher than her Rondo of Blood self, making her one of the toughest bosses in the normal castle. In the Dracula X Chronicles version, she plays like her Rondo of Blood self but with a new darting ability allowing her to pass right over many enemies.
- GTI-CLUB (Sega Saturn only): Start the game with $250,000.
- If you are playing Sega Saturn version, you can use any available secret code, and choose any character from the beginning. Also, hold while choosing Richter to use his alternate outfit, as shown above.
- Dark Blue: Area covered in shop item "Castle Map"
- Light Blue: Area not covered in shop item "Castle Map"
- Red: Save Room
- Yellow: Warp Room
- Green: Boss Room
- Red Wall: Breakable Wall
There are five (six in SS version) warp rooms in each castle. Each room is distinguished by an animal motif at the background. Each time you use a warp room, it will send you to the next available room in the following order:
- Entrance / Reverse Entrance (Horse)
- Abandoned Mine / Cave (Snake)
- Outer Wall / Reverse Outer Wall (Scorpion)
- Castle Keep / Reverse Keep (Lion)
- Olrox's Quarters / Death Wing's Lair (Demon)
- (SS only) Underground Garden / Hell Garden (Bear)
Notice that, the warp room at the Entrance is available at the beginning, however you must reach there via another warp room in order to unlock the blocking wall.