From StrategyWiki, the video game walkthrough and strategy guide wiki
Yoshi's Island 1
|Exit||Yellow Switch Palace|
|Time at Start||300|
Yoshi's Island 1 is the first level on Yoshi's Island.
- The level will begin immediately with a Koopa trying to slide into you. Be sure to jump out of his way before you continue on.
- Behind the first Banzai Bill you will see a floating question mark. Try to catch it to get a mushroom and become Super Mario. (If you are already big, you will instead receive a flower.) Don't worry if you miss it, there are enough opportunities to get power-ups in this level.
- When you run past the bush, a mushroom will pop up. Grab it!
- The blocks that are blocking the blue pipe can be broken with a spin jump. The pipe leads to a small bonus area (pictured at the right). Exiting this bonus area will launch you out of the big diagonal pipe right into the midway gate.
- The midway gate allows you to restart from there should you die further on in this level. It also makes you Super Mario if you aren't already. Be sure to run through the gate to get these benefits.
- Message boxes in the game tell you useful tips and trivia. If you wish, hit them to learn what they have to say.
- Once you see a red Koopa shell just lying around on the ground, look up to spot a turn block. Kick the Koopa shell up to hit the turn block and reveal a 1-up mushroom.
- The ? block atop the turn blocks gives you yet another opportunity to grab a flower.
- At the end, leap over the Clapin' Chuck and hit the goal. Try to hit the goal tape at its highest position to gain bonus points.
Dragon Coin locations
The five Dragon Coins in this level are located as follows:
- Right behind the first slope where the Koopa slides down from.
- After the first hill, behind the last of the three slopes.
- Inside the bonus area, covered by a few turn blocks.
- On top of the hill just after the first message block.
- Right before the goal tape.