So you want to get married, eh? Or you don't and you want to know why anyone would? Well, the first thing you get when you get married is a lot of renown. Then you can get gifts, sometimes even the second best weapon in the game, so there are some benefits. Note that you can marry both men and women; where this guide says "woman" or "wife", "man" or "husband" is also interchangeable.
- Buy a marital home.
- Make a woman (or man!) fall in love with you.
- Buy a wedding ring.
- Give the wedding ring to the woman in love with you.
- Talk to the woman that has the wedding ring.
- Say yes.
It sounds easy, and it is, once you know how at least.
- Buying a marital home is the easiest part, all you have to do is go to the town you want to have a wife (or husband!) in and buy it.
- Making a woman fall in love with you can be tricky. The biggest factor in people's ability to fall in love with you is renown. So, even though you can get married at the very start of the game, it is a lot easier once you have some renown. It is also harder for evil characters to have people fall in love with them, but it is still easy. Good characters can have women fall in love with them simply by them seeing your character. You will know when they are in love with you because they will be highlighted green.
- Give gifts. In general, the more expensive, the better the result is. Try giving them a gem or two.
- Don't keep giving them the same gifts.
- Talk to them.
- Use your expressions on them (flirt, manly arm pump, etc.)
- Use trophies near them. This increases your renown and gives a temporary boost to their relationship with you.
- Ugly mofo's don't get the girl, a high attractiveness and a low scariness helps getting women to like you.
- Buying a wedding ring is as easy as buying a home, unless you're trying to get a good deal. Oakvale has the best deals (without stealing or finding one).
- Giving the wedding ring to the woman in love is easy. Find the woman who fell in love with you and using either the menu or quick menu, go to ITEMS -> GIFTS and find your wedding ring, make sure the woman you want to give the ring to is highlighted when you give it to them.
- NOTE: If you happen to give a wedding ring to someone who is not in love with you, they won't take it so you won't waste it but if you gave it to someone who is in love with you, but isn't the person you wanted to have it, you wasted a perfectly good wedding ring.
- Now that she has the ring, talk to her and she will say one of the pre-set lines of "why not, lets get married".
- A short delay and a conformation box will pop up and you can go ahead and get married.
That's it. Note that you can have more than one wife, with a limit of one per town (five in total including Lady Grey).
Your wife will periodically give you gifts. You can sometimes get gifts as often as once a day for a few days in a row. The gifts are simply items from the shops in the town your wife lives in, so don't expect many items you can't get through other methods.
Here are some worthwhile rewards you can get, and from where:
- Plate Chest Piece - Bowerstone South
- Solous Sword - Bowerstone North (Lady Grey)
Now, to keep your wife (or husband!) happy just go back to her once in a while, talk to her, sleep with her, give her gifts, use expressions on her, etc. The type of gifts (value-wise) as well as the frequency in which she gives them to you seems to be based on some hidden relationship happiness variable.
The last part of being married is, of course, breaking up. There are two ways that you can get rid of your wife.
- Kill her.
- Get divorced.
Oddly enough, getting divorced earns you as much as 600 evil points but killing her earns only 16. To divorce your wife, simply beat the living hell out of her with your fists. Talk to her, if she hasn't decided on getting divorced yet, beat her some more. Just keep doing that until she says it's over.
One final note: no, you cannot have children.
Having sex[edit | edit source]
First, buy a marital home, flirt, talk, give gifts, do what ever it takes to get someone to fall in love with you. When they do, they will turn green. Buy a wedding ring, give it to them, then talk to them and they will ask you if you want to get married. Say yes and then repeat the gift giving, flirting, talking, etc. until they turn green again. Talk to them and say yes. That's it.
Lady Grey[edit | edit source]
It's actually a complete quest with multiple parts. First, you need to beat the arena and talk to her in Bowerstone North, you'll need to then buy a Black Rose from the shop in Bowerstone North (it's the very bottom item in the gift section). Then you'll need to talk to people in Bowerstone North to find out Lady Grey's Necklace has been stolen; it's in Oakvale. Go to the Memorial Gardens and spy on the two thieves, then go dig between the two ruined boats in Oakvale by the docks to find the necklace. Go give it to Lady Grey, then go fight Thunder on the Headman's Hill and once that's done, go marry Lady Grey.
Having sex with her is exactly the same as sleeping with any other wife, just flirt, talk and give gifts, eventually she will be yours.