- Full name: Kyo Kusanagi.
- First appearance: The King of Fighters '94.
- Other appearances: The King of Fighters series, Capcom vs. SNK series, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum.
- Midnight Bliss transformation: Kyo changes extraordinarily little from a man to a woman, wearing the exact same outfit, with a woman's physique and hair style. Based on the Striker character "Cosplay Kyoko" (Shingo's Another Striker) from The King of Fighters 2000.
- Heaven Spell (Athena defeat transformation): a cat.
- Makai Spell (Red Arremer defeat transformation): a hitotsume-kozō which retains most of his features, including the uniform.
Kyo Kusanagi has a complete opposite personality from his rival Iori. Kyo is generally upbeat, with a slight attitude from constantly being underestimated by older adults. Despite his young age, Kyo is very confident in his natural fighting abilities, and with good cause. Kyo delights in battle, though his frequent wins have not taught him much about respect. Even good natured challenges offered to him from more experienced fighters such as Ryu and Ken are met with a haughty assumption that he will wipe the floor with them. He never accepts responsibility for the humiliation that his opponents might suffer from their defeat. He is sensitive to the presence of great power, especially when he encounters Demitri, who gives him the sensation that his blood is boiling. And like many boys his age, he is certainly interested in attractive ladies (despite already having a girlfriend), yet he doesn't show any appreciation for their potential as fighters and worthy opponents. In the end, every competition that presents itself to him is met with satisfaction, with little thought given to the consequence of his actions.