|Family Computer Disk System|
|Total Games||223 (191 present)|
|← (none)||(none) →|
The Family Computer Disk System (ファミリーコンピュータ ディスクシステム Famirii Konpyuuta Disuku Shisutemu?) (often shortened to Famicom Disk System (ファミコンディスクシステム Famikon Disuku Shisutemu?) and abbreviated as FCDS, FDS, or FCD), was released on February 21, 1986 by Nintendo as a peripheral for the Family Computer. It was a unit that used proprietary floppy disks (called "Disk Cards") for data storage. It was announced, but not released, for the North American/PAL region's NES. Through its entire production span, from 1986 to 2003, 4.44 million units were sold.
The device was connected to the Famicom deck by plugging a modified cartridge known as the RAM Adapter into the system's cartridge port, which attached via a supplied cable to the disk drive. The RAM adapter contained 32 kilobytes (KB) of RAM for temporary program storage, 8 KB of RAM for tile and sprite data storage, and an ASIC known as the 2C33. The ASIC acted as a disk controller for the floppy drive, and also included additional sound hardware featuring a primitive wavetable synthesizer. The Disk Cards used were double-sided, with a total capacity of 112 KB per disk. Many games spanned both sides of a disk, requiring the user to switch sides at some point during gameplay. A few games used two full disks (four sides). The Disk System was capable of running on six C-cell batteries or the supplied AC adapter. Batteries would usually last five months with daily game play. The battery option was included due to the likelihood of a standard set of AC plugs already being occupied by a Famicom and a television.
Pages in category "Family Computer Disk System"
The following 191 pages are in this category, out of 191 total.
- Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind
- Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race
- Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally
- Famicom Mukashi Banashi Shin Oniga Shima - Kouhen
- Famicom Mukashi Banashi Shin Oniga Shima - Zenpen
- Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Koukeisha - Kouhen
- Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Koukeisha - Zenpen
- Family Composer
- Final Command: Akai Yousai
- Fire Bam
- Fire Emblem Gaiden
- Fire Rock
- Fuuun Shourin Ken
- Fuuun Shourin Ken: Ankoku no Maou
- Kaettekita Mario Bros.
- Kalin no Tsurugi
- Kamen Rider Black: Taiketsu Shadow Moon
- Karate Champ
- Kick and Run
- Kick Challenger: Air Foot
- Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: Dai 2 Shoutai Shutsudou Seyo!
- Kieta Princess
- KiKi KaiKai: Dotou Hen
- Kineco - Kinetic Connection
- Kineco II - Kinetic Connection
- Kinnikuman: Kinniku Ookurai Soudatsusen
- Knight Lore
- Konamic Ice Hockey
- Konamic Tennis
- Koneko Monogatari: The Adventures of Chatran
- Samurai Sword
- Santa Claus no Takarabako
- SD Gundam World Gachapon Senshi - Scramble Wars
- SD Gundam World Scramble Wars Map Collection
- Section Z (NES)
- Seiken Psycho Calibur
- Smash Ping Pong
- Soccer (NES)
- Solomon no Kagi
- Solomon's Key
- Suishou no Dragon
- Super Boy Allan
- Super Lode Runner
- Super Lode Runner II
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)
- Sylviana: Ai Ippai no Boukensha